french-waterways.com has become the internet’s leading, most comprehensive and authoritative source of inspiration and information about enjoying the rivers and canals of France – on the water or by the water. In one’s own craft, in a self-drive hire boat, on a hotel barge charter or on a riverboat small ship cruise. It was founded in autumn 2003 when we departed the UK to ‘go sailing’, memorably crossing the English Channel (la Manche) in an equinoctal gale to enter the waterways network at Honfleur. Since then, besides sailing the Western Mediterranean, we have cruised thousands of kilometres of the French rivers and canals from north to south, east to west, passing through untold numbers of locks (écluses) along the way.
french-waterways.com is independent and impartial, created and written from first-hand practical experience of (and great enthusiasm for) the subject – and also learning from and collaborating with, other sources of expertise. Our primary focus is on the usefulness, quality and clarity of the information provided and our professional background is that of marketing communications, sales promotion, graphic design, photography, technical literature, websites and commercial publishing generally. For the worlds of construction, property and the global water resources sector.
The site currently (February 2014) receives approximately 1,000 unique visitors each day, from all over the world. With some much appreciated technical programming backup, it has been entirely written and produced by us, using WordPress.
For the avoidance of doubt, french-waterways.com is not connected with VNF Voies Navigables de France, the national waterways management authority. Although we may not be able directly to intervene in the event of a lock breakdown, we are very pleased to hear from our readers and to provide such advice and opinion as we are able. And also, of course, to receive intelligence that amends, expands or corrects our own information. We ourselves owe a huge debt of gratitude to those many who have befriended and helped us along the way. Boating is like that.
Some Feedback . . .
These are all genuine and completely unprompted.
They are also very much appreciated. Thank you.
- I am gobsmacked. Your website is excellent. Absolutely excellent in all its detail. What a gift to people who, like me, are researching the ‘possibility’. Congratulations and, more importantly, THANK YOU!!!!!
- Your lovely website . . . Very informative
- Once again congrats on your web site, I am getting lots of good info and tips from it and think it’s great that there are people such as yourself who are willing to put the time and effort in so that others can benefit. Well done, and thanks.
If we meet out there I’d be pleased to buy you a drink.
- Have looked back to your website for inspiration
- I just wanted to say your website has provided me with an endless supply of reading material for what started out as an idea
- I’ve just discovered your amazing web sight
- Congratulations on a very well-designed informative website
- Thanks so much for your speedy, helpful and thoughtful response.
- Firstly thank you for the informative website.
- Love your website!
- Thanks very much for your reply; not only do you do a great site but you also respond with warmth and alacrity to queries: wonderful!
- Congratulations on a thoroughly professional and engrossing site with that rare element of insider nous.
- Your site is really informative
- Hey guys I loved reading your input on the trials and tribulations of cruising the French waterways.
- Found your site to be very informative and well organised.
- Your great website
- I would like to thank you again for your detailed emails. You have been a lifesaver for us
- What a wonderful site you provide for cruising France by canal.
- I have been extremely impressed with the content of your web site
- What a fantastic and informative source of invaluable information. Very many thanks, will keep me occupied for weeks, no months.
- Just wanted to tell you that I have sat here for the last two hours engrossed in your blog on your site! I have read everything from beginning to end and loved every word of it. And I really liked your photos, they are wonderful.
- First, thank you for doing a terrific job on your web site, very informative and helpful.
- First to all much thanks to you for your website which we find most enjoyable and informative.
- Thanks for response and that’s more helpful than anything I’ve seen so far.
- Thank you for your excellent, helpful site.
- I’m very happy to have found such a useful website.
- Great web site!
- Just wanted to say thanks for hosting such a great site. Lots of useful information, well organised, entertaining, and nicely photographed. Sites as good as these are rare. Well done.
- Your website, your emails and your friendship have been indispensable, we could not have made a safe journey without all the information we had from you. It was priceless!
- Hi, thanks for a great website. It’s an excellent resource for a dreamer like me.
- Many thanks for coming back with such excellent advice.
- Firstly, great website! I found a lot of info I could not easily find elsewhere.
- Thank you for your very informative web site.
- Really interesting and well written to boot
- We just felt we had to say how much we appreciated all the information and the really well constructed/navigable website you have.
- Love the website – I found it a long time ago, probably as you were starting off, and always kept the link. I’ve spent the past week reading all the pages and I’m really impressed!
- I found your Rhone and Saone pages most helpful and accurate
- I have found your website most helpful
- First, please accept my compliments on your magnificent website.
- Well once again many thanks.
Your site is the best reference on the web and so usable.
- You should probably get commission from the French tourist board for the good work you do.