Canal lateral a l’Oise + River Oise : Cruising in Detail
Information about the 117km of canal from Pont l’Eveque to Janville and river from Janville to Conflans St-Honorine on the River Seine.
This is a Grand Gabarit waterway that is quite busy with large commercial peniches and push-tows. (below photo: Christian Duclairoir) Locks (ecluses) are often configured as side-by-by side chambers with a mid-channel dividing wall that extends out well beyond the ecluse. Binoculars are useful to check from a distance which lights on which chamber are giving the appropriate signals to wait or proceed.
See also general notes(foot of page).
- Approximate TE minimum depth 2.50m, TA headroom 3.9m, width 5m. Pleasure craft are unlikely to experience dimensional difficulties – the most significant problem relates to the size of passing commercial vessels: the wake and wash that they produce (this is greatest when they are empty and travelling faster) and which affects smaller craft on the water or moored alongside the canal banks. Taking care, setting mooring lines sensibly, using fenders and other protective measures are all important.
- The nature of the waterway and the relatively small number of locks means that good progress can be made, but anticipate delays at locks, where commerce always takes priority.
- This is a Blue Flag waterway where vessels must show a blue flag, board or flashing light to indicate that they are taking the ‘wrong’ side of the canal.
- VNF contact telephone number 01 40 58 29 99 (Pontoise) 03 44 83 85 00 (Compiegne).
- Using a pilot-guide book is strongly recommended: Breil Guides or Fluviacarte (Navicarte) Guides.
PK18 Pont l’Eveque- Canal du Nord
Halte just inside a spur branch off the Lateral canal, at the junction. Water and electricity 03 44 44 80 20. Numbers of commercial barges also use the spur. (photo David Evernden)
PK31 / River Oise PK104 – Longueil-Annel / Janville
A major barge centre, barges moored everywhere. Halte nautique? (unverified, possibly just quayside of which there is a lot).
PK99 River Aisne – Junction
PdP in a small basin off the canal after the railway bridge (above right is the entrance) (photos : Seagipsy). 1.2m depth but soft mud under. 03 44 40 08 52. Or quayside moorings. Chandlery in the town. Fuel barge? (unverified) Huge impressive chateau (rebuilt 1949) and terrific gothic town hall.
Restaurant Halte “Relais du Port”, shallow (1.1m) 06 81 35 29 72
Attractive little town – alongside pontoons. (photo: lounnas)
Pontoons downstream from the main bridge.
PK34 L’Isle Adam
Pontoon with electricity and water downstream from the ecluse and island, shops.
Pontoon near the railway bridge.
Excellent recommended Port de Plaisance, also suitable for over-wintering. 01 34 24 11 77 www.portcergy.com
PK0 Conflans Sainte-Honorine – River Seine Junction
Busy barge centre – many, many barges. There are no facilities particularly suited to plaisanciers.