A new organisation has been created jointly by the Waterways Shipowners Committee (CAF) and the Waterways Transport Organisation (CNBA). The purpose of the TFF (Transporteurs Fluviaux de France – French Waterway Carriers) is to promote the use of canals and rivers for the transport of goods.
It was launched at a meeting on 16th April where the Minister of Transport, Frédéric Cuvillier, was present and discussions on the day focused on some important topics –
- Encouragement of passenger transport – a currently healthy sector but one that has constraints that could be ameliorated.
- The threatened Seine-Nord Grand Gabarit canal project.
The Minister confirmed three initiatives concerning waterway transport –
- 10m€ in funds for schemes to assist the move from roads to waterways.
- A request to the E.U for 15m€ in funding to help modernisation of the commercial barge fleet.
- The establishment of professional qualifications for inland waterways transport.