WTM Seminar Report
How do prospects choose?
- Research –Select – Location
- Compile a Shortlist (say, 10)
- Compare Options and Offers – ‘Best’ vs ‘Cheapest’
- 57% visit hotel website
1. Popularise/Promote amongst potential guests (i.e not everyone)
- 21% of bookings come through word-of-mouth
- 17% of bookings come through an OTA (Online Travel Agent)
- 13% repeat bookings
- Prospects like trustworthy selections (eg ‘Best five’ or ‘Top ten’)
2. Capture the Prospect Traffic
- Social media may produce 9% of website traffic, but only 1% of actual bookings
- The bigger the (link) target, the easier to hit (click) [Fitts’ Law]
- Prospect research cycle
OTA > Reviews (Trip Advisor, etc) > Hotel website > OTA > Reviews . . . etc.
3. Convert the Prospect to a Buyer
- Only 3 seconds to sell a hotel’s USP
- USP = Location – Comfort Level – Value
- USP = what guests think it is
- Emotion sells – powerful photos, guest memories/stories – “Moments”
Key Website Factors
- About the Rooms
- About the Location
- About Pricing
- Offers / Features / Gallery / etc.
- The booking process often takes the vast majority of time on a website – 11 minutes compared with 14 minutes overall. Must be carefully planned/executed so prospects don’t give up.
Get people to Recommend / Share
- Over-deliver the experience, better than they expected
- Make sure they realise / recognise that – remind them
- Ask them to spread the word