WTM Seminar Report
Social media is an area of marketing and communication that is being used by a large number of travel companies as part of their strategy to engage new customers. Indeed recent research suggests that social media provides a 3:1 return on investment.
One sector of the travel industry that has seen tremendous success and that greatly relies upon engaging new customers for continued growth is cruising.
- Decline in email use?
- Social media posts equate to Word of Mouth relay of information/judgements. Travel is inherently a ‘social’ activity and before/during/after people talk to their friends about what is happening. People tend to trust these comments, whether face-to-face or via social media.
- There are 30 million UK Facebook users, 25% of whom (7.5 million) are over 25 yrs old
- Fanalyzer measures and ranks UK fan pages – here, travel related http://www.fanalyzer.co.uk/category/65/Tourism-Travel.html
(KLM has over 4m fans)
The process (very interesting analysis, relevant to any travel related marketing activities) –
- Dreaming > Planning > Booking > Anticipating > Travelling > Destination > Memories
- Brands need to behave like publishers, providing relevant, quality, content
- Be Useful
- Be Authentic (on topic, relevant)
- Be Engaging (interesting, exciting, events)