A newly developed self-drive hire boat for 8+ people
The Nicols Estivale Octo-Fly self-drive hire boat offers a superb sun-deck with an additional smart new integrated and removable canopy. This creates a spacious sociable area, including the upper steering position, so everyone can enjoy cruising and dining outdoors together whatever the weather.
The Octo-Fly has 4 double or twin-bed cabins for 8 persons, with excellent shower-rooms and a spacious bright panoramic saloon and galley area. There is also a sofa-bed in the saloon. There is forward terrace at the bow as well, perfect to relax with a nice cool drink and enjoy your boating holiday or vacation on the French canals.
- A large ‘walk through’ rear (aft) terrace that is perfect for eating or relaxing. It has a sun awning, table and chairs, shower and swimming ladder and also gates on either side for easy access whichever way round the boat is moored up.
- A staircase (moulded into the hull) gives access up to the ‘flying bridge’ (the upper deck) which provides superb elevated views of the passing scene as well as a steering position. The boat’s controls fold away to maximise the use and enjoyment of the deck.
- A galley (kitchen) that is fully equipped to a high standard and cabins and shower rooms that are spacious and comfortable.
- Length 13.50m – Width 3.80m
- Flying bridge with canopy
- 4 Cabins – 4 Double Beds Convertible to 8 Single Beds
- Convertible Double Bed In Saloon
- 2 Washrooms / Electric WC
- Saloon Area 11 sq.m
- 220 Litre Fridge-Freezer
- 4-Ring Hob – Oven
- Inside and Outside Steering Positions
- Shower and Bathing Ladders
- Radio / CD / TV
- Exclusive Nicols ‘Piscinette’ heated pool annexe option
Nicols Estivale Octo-Fly regions - Midi-Languedoc | Brittany
Hire Boating – Midi-Languedoc
► Self-drive boats available in Midi-Languedoc
Hire Fleets and Bases
■ LeBoat: Port Cassafieres, Narbonne, Homps, Trebes and Castelnaudary
■ France Afloat / Linssen: Capestang
■ Locaboat: Argens-Minervois and Negra
■ Nicols: Le Somail and Port Lauragais
Canal du Midi – Canal de la Robine
The Canal du Midi has been listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in recognition of the achievement of architect Pierre-Paul Riquet in linking the Etang du Thau in the south east with the River Garonne in Toulouse, effectively connecting the Mediterranean with the Atlantic. His engineering prowess can be seen in the flight of nine characteristically oval-shaped locks at Fonserannes near the ancient city of Beziers, and if ticking off UNESCO sites is your thing, then you get two for one in Carcassonne, where the canal passes close to the ancient citadel that forms one of the most iconic skylines in the whole country.
The canal meanders between the vineyards of Corbieres to the south and the Minervois to the north and a visit to the wine town of Minerve, one of the most beautiful in France, is a treat. A diversion along the Canal de la Robine leads to Narbonne, which dates back to Roman times when it was a strategic trading centre, and even today its covered market, supplied by local producers, is a kind of foodie heaven.
– [below] In the region: Minervois, Minerve, Canal du Midi, Beziers, Narbonne, Carcassonne –
^ click to enlarge images and open gallery ^
See Nicols Octo for further images
The Nicols ‘Piscinette’ heated boat pool (optional extra)
The French canal and river network is the most extensive, most delightful, in the world. Exploring the waterways, passing through towns, villages and beautiful countryside – usually in bright sunshine – is enjoyable almost beyond compare. Equally enjoyable is the opportunity to ‘take a dip’ and with most watercourses, man-made or natural, this is very possible.
The unique Nicols Piscinette expands this delight still further, providing one’s own private small pool, with the clean water at a warm temperature, the depth certain and the poolside safe. A great little splashy playground for the young – and the not so young!
The pool is rather like a floating trailer that is fixed to and towed behind Nicols boats. Every recent type of boat in the Nicols fleet is suitable – Sedan, Grand Confort or Estivale. The boat attachment is completely secure and a boat equipped with a Piscinette is as easy to drive as one without. Overall, it is 2.55m long by 3.10m wide and the pool holds 700 litres of fresh clean water that is brought to a comfortable temperature through connections to the boat engine heat exchanger. There is also a circulation pump and filtration skimmer, to keep things sweet, just like its full-size cousins.
The Nicols ‘pool annexe’ has guard rails, storage boxes – and for when the pool is not in use, it has sliding rigid covers robust enough to stand on or keep things on.